To avoid voiding the manufacturer's and/or contractor's warranty it's important that your client read and understand the warranty terms and conditions.
Like any other contract, a warranty can be voided for a number of reasons that are typically quite different from those of common steep-slope roofing materials. These may include, but are not limited to:
- Failure of the building owner to perform inspection, repairs, and routine maintenance in a timely manner as specified in the terms. Time limits for these items can vary among manufacturers.
- Failure of the owner to notify the warrantor of leaks in the roof system within a time limit specified by the contract terms.
- Failure of the owner to notify the warrantor prior to the installation of new rooftop equipment or any other modification to the roof system.
- Failure of the building owner to have permanent maintenance or repairs performed in accordance with the warrantor's instructions. The may include:
- The use of materials not manufactured or approved by the warrantor, or the use of incompatible material for a repair;
- Work performed by someone who is not approved or authorized by the roof system warrantor;
- A change in the use of the building, or
- A change in building ownership; some warranties are non-transferable, or may transfer only if certain requirements are met.
Roof "System" VS Roof "Assembly"
- The roof "system" includes all roofing components above (but not including) the roof deck.
- The roof "assembly" includes all roofing components including the roof deck.
Use the following links to look up warranty information on specific roofing materials:
The following list of manufacturers includes the products they produce with links to their installation manuals, and where to look for (manufacturer identification marks).
- Carlisle Syn Tech: PVC, TPO, EPDM(EPDM embossed on boot flashing or membrane);
- Cooley: PVC/KEE & TPO(embossed on the seam if it's there at all);
- Duro-Last: PVC(embossed along seams);
- FiberTite: KEE;
- Firestone: EPDM, TPO, KEE;
- Flex: PVC. TPO, KEE:
- GAF: PVC, TPO;
- GenFlex: TPO, EPDM (TPO embossed on plumbing vent flashing);
- IB Roofing: PVC, (Embossed on seams and on 10" vent caps);
- Johns Manville: PVC/KEE, TPO, EPDM (not visible once installed);
- Mule-Hide: PVC, PVC/KEE, TPO, EPDM;
- Sika Sarnafil: PVC;
- Sika-Trocal: PVC (embossed in the field);
- Tremco: TPO, KEE, CSPE, PIB, Vegetated Roofing Systems;
- Versico: PVC, KEE, TPO, EPDM.